What is La Leche League?
La Leche League is an international, nonprofit, nonsectarian organization dedicated to providing support, encouragement, information, and education to women who want to breastfeed.
La Leche League Leaders are experienced breastfeeding mothers, accredited by La Leche League International. They are familiar with research and current findings dealing with all aspects of nursing and are trained to answer questions or concerns you may have about breastfeeding. Leaders are volunteers who are available for free telephone or e-mail counseling every day.
La Leche League offers breastfeeding support and information through:
- Monthly Series Meetings
- Telephone and e-mail help from experienced, accredited Leaders
- Lending libraries with books on breastfeeding, childbirth, parenting, and nutrition
- LLL breastfeeding information sheets and pamphlets
- Books for sale including our book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding Today and New Beginnings, online blogs for parents
- The La Leche League International website
- More than 50 years experience providing mother-to-mother help
Our monthly meetings rotate through four general topics:
- Advantages of Breastfeeding
- Preparing for Baby, Childbirth, and the New Baby at Home
- The Art of Breastfeeding: Avoiding and Overcoming Difficulties
- Nutrition and Weaning
All women interested in learning about breastfeeding are welcome to attend meetings or to call a Leader for breastfeeding help. Whether you breastfeed your baby for six days, six weeks, six months, a year or longer, you will find La Leche League meetings supportive and informative. Babies and children are always welcome at our meetings.
Why join La Leche League?
We encourage you to become a member of La Leche League although membership is not required to attend meetings or to receive breastfeeding help from a Leader.
The membership fee helps to support your local Group and enables La Leche League International to continue its mission of providing information and encouragement for breastfeeding women around the world. Without contributions from our members, La Leche League would be unable to provide this vital mother-to-mother support.
For more membership information and to purchase a membership, please contact a Leader from your local LLL Group.
La Leche League Philosophy
The basic philosophy of La Leche League is summarized in the following statements:
- Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- In the early years, the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- Human milk is the natural food for babies, uniquely meeting their changing needs.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Ideally, the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby’s father. A father’s unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child’s development from early infancy.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
The ideals and principles of mothering which are the foundation of LLLI beliefs are further developed in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, the most comprehensive handbook on breastfeeding and parenting ever published. It has provided needed answers to three generations of nursing mothers on every aspect of breastfeeding.
From LLLI publication No. 300-17, “La Leche League Purpose and Philosophy.”